If you don’t have baking soda in the house- go buy it now. It’s multi-purpose and best of all its cheap as chips. As well as using it for cooking and baking, below are 10 ways you can use it to clean the house, your body and even your pet.
1. Clean pans and cutlery – mix it with water into a paste baking soda and use it to get your stainless steel sink, pans or cutlery looking brand spanking new. Just let it sit for 20 minutes and you don’t need any chemical cleaners.
2. Eliminate smells - Baking soda can be used to deodorise just about anything! You can sprinkle at the bottom of your laundry basket or bin, put a cup in the fridge to soak up odours. Also, if you have carpets, sprinkle it generously, let it sit overnight and then hoover it normally.
3. Avoid clogged drains – if you pour 1/4 cup baking soda down the drain weekly and rinse down with hot water.
4. Remove burnt food – if you’re partial to a few toasties want to remove last weeks cheese from the grill, sprinkle it with baking soda, then soak. After several hours, the charred pieces will come loose easily.
5. Make whites whiter – use it in addition to your regular washing powder and make your whites extra bright.
6. Clean pet’s fur- To quickly clean pets and remove "wet dog" smell, sprinkle with baking soda and brush out their fur.
7. Clean hair brushes – did you know that you should wash your hairbrush regularly as the residue build up reduces the shine in your hair. Soak them in a mixture of 1 teaspoon baking soda and a small amount of warm water. Rinse and dry.
8. Clean teeth – sprinkle it on your toothbrush on top of your toothpaste. If used at regular intervals it will keep your teeth as white as if you were using those expensive whitening kits. Obviously if you smoke, drink lots of coffee or red-wine the visible results will be lessened. Make sure not over-do it though as too much can damage your enamel.
9. Clean face – forgot to pick up a face wash? Baking soda mixed with water into a paste can make a very easy facial mask that will remove makeup build up. You could even add some honey or essential oils for a more spa-like feel.
10. Clean hair - Mix a little baking soda into your conditioner and lather on your hair to keep it healthy and resistant to split ends.