Policy suspension, or putting your car policy on hold, allows you to reduce your policy cover for a period of time while your car is not in use, for example if you leave the country on a long stay holiday.
The following conditions must be met in order to suspend your car insurance:
- The insured car must not be kept on a Public Road.
- The cert & disc must be returned to our office – Mountainview, Central Park, Leopardstown, Dublin 18, D18 E6F4
- You must also send a letter of instruction to suspend the policy (including the date from which the suspension should commence, the date cannot be in the past).
- The car must still be in your possession i.e. it cannot be sold or scrapped
- If paying by direct debit you must continue to pay instalments as normal during suspension.
- The minimum time you can suspend your policy for is 28 days.
Note: No refund is due if there is a claim prior to or during the period of suspension or anytime during that year of insurance, this includes windscreen claims.