Carbon Monoxide

You can’t see or smell carbon monoxide, but at high levels it can kill a person in minutes. Carbon monoxide (CO) is produced whenever any fuel is burned. If appliances that burn fuel are maintained and used properly, the amount of CO produced is usually not hazardous.

There some precautionary measures you take to ensure your safety in your home:

  1. To avoid carbon monoxide poisoning get your fuel-burning appliances inspected annually.
  2. Choose appliances that vent their fumes outside.
  3. Ensure that rooms in your home containing heating appliances are properly ventilated - NEVER BLOCK VENTS.
  4. Make sure all chimneys are regularly swept and kept clear.
  5. Use appliances only for the PURPOSE for which they were designed, e.g. do not use a cooker to heat a room.
  6. Purchase a carbon monoxide alarm but remember these are no substitute for regular inspection and maintenance of appliances, vents, flues and chimneys. Check that the Carbon Monoxide alarm complies with the EN 50291 standard.