Preparing for stormy weather
Ireland is bracing for a spell of very rough weather this week. Storm Dudley is predicted to be first to make landfall on Wednesday, February 16th. Consequently, warnings of storm-force winds and flooding have been issued for the entire island. High winds will persist into Thursday while Friday, February 18th will usher in Storm Eunice, bringing further high winds, stormy seas and flooding in some coastal regions.
We are here to help you get ready
It's extremely important to fix potential problems in advance, like loose slates and remove dead tree branches so that they don’t cause damage in a storm. Here’s what to do when a storm is coming your way.
Protecting your home
- Close all windows and doors, especially large doors like garage or patio doors.
- Put garden furniture in a garage or shed or bring it inside.
- Close washing line poles or take them down.
- Check that TV aerials and satellite dishes are securely fastened and secure cables and electric wires.
- Clear leaves and debris from gutters.
- Clear drains to make sure rain water can flow freely into them.
- Check there are no loose roof slates or loose coverings on sheds.
- Secure fences, repair garden walls and fix any gates that don't close firmly so they're not further damaged by wind.
- Park cars in a garage or away from trees, fences and garden walls.
- Remove dead tree branches and check trees for root and branch damage.
- During the storm, stay indoors and don't go outside to try and repair damage.
- Dismantle any trampolines and make sure to bring indoors.
Protecting your car:
If possible, park your car in a garage but at the very least, at a safe distance from any trees or loose debris that may become a risk during high winds.
- Areas that are susceptible to flooding
- Parking near the coastline or a river
- Parking underneath or close to power lines
- Driving through water, as there may be hidden dangers there
- Avoid any unnecessary trips
If you have to drive, please make sure your lights are on and to leave extra room between you and the car in front of you.
Be sure to keep an eye on www.met.ie for storm updates.
And should the worst happen and you need to make a claim on your Home Insurance policy, you can contact our Claims Team on (01) 290 1999 or log a claim online here.
We typically experience high volumes of calls around and shortly after Storms, so if you click here, we answer some of the most commonly asked questions and issues relating to storm damage.