To help prevent flooding check that outside drains and gullies are clear and free running.
If you live in an area that has flooded before, then:
- Move your car, lawnmowers, etc. to higher ground.
- Move any furniture and electrical items upstairs if you can.
- Seal any delicate items in plastic bags.
- If you have a basement make sure everything is stored there at least 20cm off the floor or bring upstairs if possible.
If your home suffers water damage, then:
- Make sure you turn off all electrical power at the mains and then unplug appliances.
- Turn off water supplies at the mains.
- If you can, clear out all drains and gullies to help drainage.
- Once the water has gone, remove all floor coverings, ventilate the house and dry out slowly using dehumidifiers if possible.
- Make any emergency repairs you can.
- Don’t throw out any damaged items because they may need to be inspected.
- Call an electrician to have your electrical system checked before you turn the power back on.